- 1 Why use a dog coat?
- 2 What to look for in a winter coat for your dog?
- 3 Best Dog Winter Coats
- 4 BONUS – Dog Boots for Winter
Welcome to Jug Dog’s roundup of the best dog coats for winter. Your dog may be covered in fur but that doesn’t protect them fully from the harshness of winter. More so, you may feel like walking them less if it’s chilly outside for their sake; but that’s not doing anyone a favour! Your dog will need exercise 12 months of the year to keep them nice and healthy.
Why use a dog coat?
Dog coats add another layer to keep their warmth from escaping their bodies too much. It’s the same as why we would wear a thicker coat during the winter months. Some dogs have more fur than others and some dogs carry more fat than others which means a dog coat can make a big difference to how comfortable your pooch will be on a walk. A jug has some thickness on their bones but they aren’t the furriest so a dog coat would be ideal for them.
Some dog coats also double up as a harness so you won’t have find a harness/collar that fits the coat you’re after.
What to look for in a winter coat for your dog?
Not all dog coats are created equal, there’s a vast range of styles, function and how warm they keep your mutt to consider. Here at Jug Dog we find the following to be crucial in deciding whether a cold weather dog coat cuts the mustard or not –
Winter coats should come with a nice inner lining that isn’t the same material as everywhere else on the coat. Look to see if the inner lining is fleeced.
Winter isn’t just cold – it can be wet, windy and snowy, too. Check to see if your dog’s coat is water, wind and snow proof!
Glow in the dark
Winter is the darkest time of the year and often, if you are working, your dog may not see too much sunshine. So try and look for a winter dog coat that has reflective areas or even glow in the dark bits.
Dogs come in different shapes and sizes. For the best fit find one that’s adjustable so you can make sure it fits snugly on your hound. If the coat also doubles as a harness this is doubly important.
Best Dog Winter Coats
Without further a do, here are Jugdog.co.uk’s favourite winter coats:
Helios Dog Winter Jacket
The Helios Dog Winter Jacket is absolutely superb. It looks great and keeps your dog very warm thanks to its double fleeced lining. Not only that but it has the reflective attributes we look for as well as adjustable velcro straps to keep your pooch in place. Lastly, it comes in various different sizes and colours to fit your dog’s (or yours) style!
This coat is waterproof, windproof, snow proof… pretty much winter proof.
We highly recommend this one and it’s a snip in the region of £20-£30.
- Blackshark Technique Fabric - Waterproof, Windbreak, Lightweight, Breathable and Wear Resistant
- Velcro Strap Clasp Design- Easy to be put on and take off
- Adjustable Neck and Chest Girth - Fit dogs of different bodily shape
- 3M Reflective Piping - Generate excellent reflective effect, enhanve the visibility of your dog in dark, keep your dog safe
Dog & Field 2 in 1 Waterproof Dog Coat
The Dog & Field 2 in 1 Winterproof coat is classic winter jacket for your dog. It has a microfibre lining which wicks away moisture from your dog and can be dry within minutes of exposure., this is at the same time as keep your furry friend warm. It’s fully waterproof on the outside which helps keeps the rain off your dog in the first place.
The coat is easy to put on and has velcro girth and chest straps to keep the coat secure. The only downside to the coat is a lack of glow in the dark areas. Lastly, this is on the higher end of the winter coat price scale BUT you do get the value from money here.
- 5 sizes from Extra Small - Extra Large (see size guise below)
- Microfiber Lined To Wick Away The Moisture From Your Wet Dog
- Fully Waterproof Outer Shell Keep your Dog Warm and Dry
- Strong Velco Girth And Chest Straps For Easy Fitting
The weatherbeeta parka as shown off by this fabulous dog here is a seriously strong winter coat that covers a lot of your dog minus the head and legs. It wraps around the belly and most of the neck which helps keep your dog seriously warm. It’s waterproof and uses triple weaving to keep your dog snug while outdoors.
Moreover, the weatherbeeta parka also has reflective strips to help in low visibility situations.
The downsides to this winter parka is the fact that it only comes in one colour. However, if you like that colour then you really couldn’t go wrong with this.
Ginger Ted Shower Waterproof Coat
One of the best winter coat you can get for your loved one. The Ginger Ted waterproof coat is a great looking and functional coat. It has a polyester lining on the inside to keep your dog warm on those winter walks as well as reflective lining to aid during the darker hours. It’s available in 8 colours and a vast array of sizes to suit your dog.
Winter coats don’t get much better than this one and while it’s in the £20 region it’s an absolute steal.
- Great quality waterproof and windproof dog coat made to a special shape, suitable for Dachshunds and similar breeds.
- Strong durable outer fabric with quick fastening adjustable body and front straps
- Features a warm fleece lining, reflective piping, fold down high neck wither flap and harness/lead slot
- Available in 2 colours (Black & Cherry Red) and 4 sizes. Please view the measuring guide image or scroll down for instructions.
Country Pet Quilted Dog Coat
If you like farmer chic (who doesn’t!) then the Country Pet Quilted dog coat is the one for you. It’s got a classic diamond finish, tartan lining, corduroy collar and trim and has a velcro fastening system. It looks brill and it will keep your dog warm. However, it is not very good in the dark and it isn’t waterproof.
- Waterproof quilt fabric
- Collar of corduroy
- Opening for collar
- Easily adjustable in size (velcro)
BONUS – Dog Boots for Winter
If you loved the winter dog coats then you’ll love these adorable winter boots! Waterproof and rain proof to keep your mutts paws warm and dry in the winter. These are ideal for dogs living in areas which can often get snowed in and with the anti slip sole they will get the extra grip on the cold and icy ground.
- Waterproof and rain proof rubber sole to protect your dog's paws in all weather.
- Reflective Velcro fastening straps to provide a secure fit.
- Reduces risk of infection and aids fast healing of paw injuries.
- Anti-slip sole provides extra grip in snow and on smooth surfaces.
Last update on 2017-06-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API