- 1 What is a dog camera?
- 2 Do I need a dog camera?
- 3 Features of dog video cameras
- 4 Best Feature Dog Cameras
- 5 Best Entry Level Dog Cameras
The safety of your pooch is paramount whether you’ve got a pup or an adult or whether you have a highly intelligent breed or otherwise. When you’re out and about on a walk you can keep an eye on him or her or them with your own eyes, but how do you know they’re ok when you’re not there? It can be difficult leaving your dog alone at home not knowing what they’re up to and if they’re OK. Thankfully, with the use of modern technology it’s possible to keep an eye on your dog remotely or to review their goings on during the day. Not only that, it can also be used as evidence if you (god forbid) got robbed. Yes, they are dog cameras!
What is a dog camera?
You may think that a dog camera is just a normal CCTV camera but with the word ‘dog’ attached. Well, technically you could get one of these but real dog cameras available in the UK can be interactive and are specifically designed for the use of keeping an eye on your dog. Generally a dog camera has a microphone (both ways), can dispense treats and some can have night vision for when you’re out during the night or they’re in a dark room. A common feature of canine specific cameras is an app for the owner to check in with their furry friends.
Do I need a dog camera?
The short answer is no, you don’t need a dog camera at all. A pooch monitor is merely a tool to make owners aware of how they’re dog is doing alone and to be able to interact with them if they have one that has that feature. An added bonus for a dog camera is it can also put your mind at rest about your home in general regardless of how your dog’s doing. All in all, a dog camera can be very handy for those who are in the middle of training their dog to be alone.
A dog camera also provides a layer of general security around the house as it’s not just the dog you can keep an eye on but your house/possessions too. A dog camera, by extension, an also keep an eye on your cat and other pets if you have one.
Dog cameras are great and you may need one if you feel anxious about leaving them alone all day or even all night. Even with a dog camera you till shouldn’t leave them alone for too long so please remember that. They are social animals and speaking down the phone and tossing them a treat (if you have a dispenser) is no substitute for proper socialising.
Reasons why you may need a dog camera
- Keep an eye on two dogs who don’t know each other well
- Have tradesmen over and your dog is home
- You have a destructive dog
- Watching a dog that is not yet housebroken
- Away for longer than usual
Features of dog video cameras
Not all hound video feeds are made equal, so these are features you may find in some pet monitoring systems:
- Wifi capability
- App monitoring
- Treat dispensing
- Two-way microphone
- High definition video
- Night vision
- Memory card saving
- Outdoor usage
Best Feature Dog Cameras
Automatic Smart Pet Feeder Camera
The Automatic Smart Pet Feeder from VGSION is a whopper. With this you can feed you pet at any time and from anywhere or set a timer to do it. This is way more than just the camera hence the premium tag. With a 130 degree camera, dual audio channel and massive amounts of remote storage available this has everything you need to solve your smart pet camera needs. Does require mains power as many do but that’s not a surprise as all these features simply can’t be done on batteries, an added bonus is social media connection to share your moments – although god knows why you’d want to really. Night vision is not in this model which does let it down though.
PETKIT MATE Pet Camera
This is a real smart choice for those who want a premium dog camera without the treat dispensing or feeder features and a camera that will fit in with existing house decor. This is a real flash piece of kit. What separates this from the competition is its ability to rotate so you can really see everything if its positioned well. The PETKIT camera also has dual way microphone so you can communicate with your buddy and have high quality HD video recording to keep an eye on them. As an added bonus it has day and night mode to keep you connected no matter the hour. Lacks external storage though.
This fancy looking today is different as its got a laser which can distract and stimulate the pet, however for a dog I’m unsure how many would be able to play with the laser without destroying everything. As you can see it’s also a good looking device which won’t be an eyesore and you won’t feel the need to put it away when not in use. Other than that, it has a HD camera with a 3x zoom, 138 degree viewport and two way audio for communication. This could be a hit or a miss with your pet if you’re willing to stump up the cash for it.
- WATCH: 720 HD video with a 138 degree wide-angle view, night vision, and 3x digital zoom.
- TALK & HEAR: get your furry friend off the couch and hear what's going on with two-way audio.
- PLAY FROM AFAR: built-in human and pet safe laser toy controlled from your phone, or set to autoplay mode to regularly play and exercise your pet.
Furbo Dog Camera
The Furbo Dog Camera is the best of the bunch and gets the full marks of approval from the staff here at Jug Dog. It looks great and can fit easily into most household decor, has an excellent treat dispenser to give your dog a well done snack from time to time. Has full HD video recording, two way audio and a bark alert if your dog has been disrupted for some reason. Paired with the treat dispensers you can settle them down quickly and reward them from stopping. Don’t believe me? Check out this video
The Furbo dog camera is so good in so many ways and with a 30 day money back guarantee, free delivery and a 2 year warranty it’s difficult to find reasons not to consider it if you’re in the market for a dog camera in the United Kingdom. To recap, the Furbo dog camera;
- Rapid to install, just download the app, connect the camera to WiFi and you’re off
- Dispenses treats at the push of a button
- Has a 2 way microphone and a bark alert
- Camera works in day and night time
- Excellent product for the money
- SEE -- 1080p Full HD Camera & Night Vision: With Full HD, 160º wide-angle, 4x zoom and night vision, you will be able to see your dog clearly day and night.
- TALK -- 2-Way Chat & Barking Alert: Furbo will notify you when it senses your dog barking. Know what's going on at home and talk to calm your dog down.
- PLAY -- Fun Treat Tossing: Play remotely by tossing treats to your dogs via the free Furbo iOS/Android app. Fill Furbo with over 100 pieces of your dogs' favourite treats & play a game of catch. Recommended treat size: 1cm.
Best Entry Level Dog Cameras
Clever Dog Smart Camera
The clever dog smart camera is an excellent entry level dog monitoring camera that has many of the ideal features listed here. It’s not the best looking thing on the internet and you may want to hide it when not in use but for what you need it to do it is great. The picture is clear and you can connect via Android or iOs app. The drawbacks? the movement sensor will drive you crazy as it can pick up on changes in light and you may want to turn that feature off.
- BABY MONITOR - With a WiFi Camera and two-way audio, the Clever Dog is an easy-to-install smart monitoring device that will enable you to view and monitor your nursery or child's room. It will help you to stay connected no matter where you are - via WiFi networks and you will be able to view footage and alerts in real-time video, with audio on both smartphones and tablets
- CCTV SECURITY CAMERA - With Motion Detection and Video Recording you can get real-time video notifications of locations where this smart camera is installed, such as at home, office, shop or warehouse etc, to enable you to know exactly what's happening. Also the smart camera will immediately take a photo when the motion sensor is activated by movement and will send you the notification via Email or the installed app for Android or iOS
- EASY TO SETUP - Simply connect your Clever Dog smart camera to your phone or tablet and insert a microSD card (up to 32GB-not included) . You will be able to view live footage anywhere you are and stay connected with the CCTV camera. The gyroscope inside allows the user to install the WiFi monitor upside-down as it will automatically auto-sense the mounted angle
Maudpower Dog Monitor Security Webcam
The Maudpower Dog monitor security webcam is actually designed for babies but can be repurposed for your dog. It has the very standard of features as a web cam and pretty much no features specifically for your dog. As an entry level camera though that is to be expected. Highlight is the ease of installation even for ‘olds’ as the Amazon description will tell you and the high definition camera and two way microphone. It is quite a subtle webcam as well which means it won’t disrupt your home decor.
- ♛【 ALARM LINKAGE 】: Built-in 105DB siren, motion sensor and Alarm Host CPU, Working With Wireless 433HZ Alarm Sensors, Like Door/Window Contactor, Smoke Detector, Gas Leak Sensor, etc. (Kindly notice here:This wifi camera supports this features but the packaging is not included this accessories.)
- ♛【 QUICK WIRED/WIRELESS NETWORK CONNECTION 】: http://www.sricam.com/videos.html, about installation, you can refer this website. Scans QR Code on the user manual, then on the popup page choose your suitable app: Camhi or PC client for easy setup. Other feature like Motion Detection, Email Alert, Screenshot etc. Also one camera can simultaneously send push notification message to 3 different phone so no any worries about message delay.
- ♛【 CONNECTIONS FOR YOUR SMART LIFE 】: Remote Control via Smart Phone, rotation Horizontal angle 355°; Vertical angle 90°. Records video clips when there any motion events detected. You can also remotely view live video from Smart Phones, iPad,and PC. Protect your property - day/night surveillance with IR.
Weesee WiFi Mini IP CCTV Camera
Again, the Weesee Wifi CCTV camera is not a built-for-purpose dog camera as is more likely when you are looking at entry level stuff. Has no dog specific features but what it does have is a crisp feed and an incredibly low price! Adjust the angle however you want and with a 360 view you can see everything, along as it’s positioned right which may mean some unwanted DIY is needed.
- This product is HD Wireless Wifi VR IP Camera with 360° full view and 3 megapixel, makes new vision and more wide world. It has the function of electronic PTZ, allows you to adjust the monitoring pictures freely and choose the angle you want through the phone APP. Suitable for office, home, factory and some other places.
- 360 degree 1.19mm lens panoramic IP camera would make wider surveillance without blind spots.
- Standing full HD 1536 * 1536 high display resolution, electronic zoom function makes the details clear.
Well, first of all you’ll notice the camera is shaped like a dog which is a bit of a novelty for the owner as the dog won’t care. Second, is that the IP Camera has premium level features at entry level price (it’s usually on offer). Full HD viewing for a crisp and clean pi, wide angle camera so you can se the whole picture as well as motion detection which makes it double up as a security camera and SD card video storage make this a very good choice if you’re on a budget but want something more than “just” a camera. Doesn’t have dog specific features though unless you count the fact it looks like a dog. Partial night vision lets it down a bit slightly.
- Full HD Video: It will present you a face to face visual effect with 4 times digital zoom, HD 720P, and noise-reduction technology. Built-in powerful IR-LEDs for night vision up to 10-15m, you can see clear in night.
- Wide Viewing Angle: With remote pan/tilt, 355° horizontal and 120° vertical rotation range makes you see all corner clearly. Remote access, no matter how far you are, you can view the wireless security camera via phone/ipad/PC. Support different smart devices access at the same time.
- Two Way Audio &Motion Detect Alert: With built-in mic and speaker, remotely talk and listen. Talk to your family members, tell your dogs, warn the thief etc. 24-hour guard. Support real-time push notifications. Support micro sd card recording and playback, never miss any important minutes.
Last update on 2018-04-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API