If car journeys with your dog are a hassle then you might want to consider getting your dog a car seat. Perhaps your dog won’t stay still in the car?
They might be distracting you while you are trying to drive. They could have an accident or get muddy paw prints on your seats. You might also be worried about whether they would be safe in the event of a car accident.
A dog car seat can help with all of these issues. They will give your dog a safe and secure place to sit or lie down during a car journey, allowing you to drive without any distractions. A car seat will also protect your car from scratches or tears from claws, mud, dirt or accidents.
There are lots of different types of car seats available to purchase online. We have put together this list of the top 10 car seats for dogs to make it easier for you to find the right product. If you are still struggling to decide which one is best for you, check out our advice section for things to consider when choosing a product.
Top 10 Dog Car Seats
Here are the top recommended dog car seats that will ensure that your furry friend has a safe and comfortable ride.
This Wuglo car seat is reinforced with vertical and horizontal rods for extra stability and a solid structure. It is available in three sizes – small (48 cm by 45cm by 28cm), medium (58cm by 58cm by 36cm) or large (58cm by 75cm by 36cm).
The small size has a 12 kg weight capacity (French Bulldogs, Poodles etc), the medium size has an 18kg weight capacity (Corgis, Beagles, Spaniels etc), and the large has a 26 kg weight capacity (Bulldogs, Sheepdogs etc).
Between the three sizes, the cat seat can cater for small to medium sized dogs or puppies of larger breeds.
The car seat comes in four different designs so you can choose one that suits the interior of your car – black with a black trim, beige with a black trim, black with a white trim, or grey with a black trim.
The car seat is waterproof which will protect your car from any accidents, or if your dog is wet and muddy. You can hand wash the car seat or wipe it down with a damp cloth for dirt that is less soiled on.
This car seat is very quick to install and easy to use. It comes with an adjustable length safety belt to keep your dog in the seat, and 4 adjustable straps to attach the dog seat to the car seat.
The straps allow you to secure the dog car seat on one side of the car, or in the centre of the car. You can also add extra protection by attaching the car seat to your car with the seatbelt. The zippers on the car seat are very strong and durable.
This car seat is only available with consistent stock from Amazon.
- Reinforced – The rods give the car seat a sturdy structure
- Waterproof – The material is waterproof which means your car will be protected from mud, dirt and accidents
- Installation – It is easy to install and use this car seat
- Safety – The safety leash is ideal to keep your dog in their seat and to keep them safe
- Maintenance – The car seat is hand wash only which makes it more of a hassle to clean
- Size – This car seat comes in three sizes but none of them are suitable for large dog breeds
This dog seat is ideal for small dog breeds, puppies or even cats. It measures 43 cm by 33 cm by 5cm. It weighs just over a kilogram so is easy to take in and out of the car when necessary, but it is suitable for pets up to 9 kg in weight.
The car seat has a cubic structure which makes it sturdy and gives your dog plenty of space during the car journey. It is perfect for pups who like to fidget and wriggle as it will act as a little playpen!
This car seat comes in 6 different designs – plain black, plain black and pink, black with white paw prints, grey with white paw prints and bones, black with white paw prints and bones, or blue with white paw prints and bones. You can choose a design that complements the interior of your car or your dog’s accessories.
The car seat is made from PVC mesh which is breathable, and high durability Oxford fabric. Your dog will be cool and comfortable, and your car seats will be protected from rips or tears.
It is waterproof to keep any mud or dirty liquids away from your car interior and can be hand washed and hoovered to keep it hygienic. It collapses down when not in use for easy storage. This dog car seat is also available from Dogly.
- Storage – It collapses down for easy storage when not in use
- Structure – It has a sturdy structure to keep your dog safe and secure
- Installation – It is very easy to install and use in any car
- Design – There are multiple designs available so you can choose one that is best for you
- Maintenance – This item is hand wash only which means it is harder to clean up after your dog
- Size – This car seat is only suitable for small dogs and is only available in one size
This car seat is all about keeping your dog comfortable in the car. It is a plush, padded bed-style seat which is made from durable oxford fabric.
The fabric is tear resistant and waterproof, which means your dog won’t be able to rip it with their claws or teeth and no liquid will get through into your car seats. It measures 55cm by 55cm and is suitable for dogs up to 16 kg in weight.
The adjustable buckle design makes it easy to install this car seat into any seat of your car – including the front passenger seat. There is a safety leash to keep your dog in their seat and to offer some protection in the event of a car accident.
The car seat comes in 7 designs – black and grey, brown and grey, light green and grey, charcoal and grey, red and grey, blue and grey, and blue and white pinstripe. You can choose the design that looks best in your car.
This dog bed can be hand washed. It is quick drying and breathable which helps to keep the dog bed hygienic. The PP fibre filling is soft and comfortable for your dog to sit on, and there are storage pockets along the side for handy storage of leads, toys, treats etc. This dog car seat is also available from Dogly
- Comfort – The soft padding makes it very comfortable for your dog, even on long journeys
- Durable – The oxford fabric is waterproof and tear resistant to protect your car
- Installation – The adjustable buckle makes it easy to install in any car and in any seat
- Design – There are different colours to choose from so you can find one that suits your preferences
- Maintenance – This item is hand wash only so it is a bit fiddly to keep clean
- Structure – This is a soft, padded car seat which does not provide much stability for your dog
- Size – It comes in one size that is suitable for small or medium dogs only
This car seat has a bucket shape design which is both comfortable and stable for your pet. It measures 47 cm by 45cm by 40cm and will easily fit into the back seat or the front passenger seat of a car.
It attaches to the seat with an adjustable strap, and there is a safety lead inside the seat which clips onto your dog’s collar. This will keep your dog in their seat and keep them safe if you are unfortunately involved in a car accident.
This seat puts your dog in an elevated position so they have a good view out of the window. This makes the journey more entertaining for them and keeps them distracted. It also helps to prevent motion sickness.
Your dog will also find it easier to see you while you are driving, which could help to keep them calm during the journey. It is suitable for dogs up to 11-12 kg in weight.
The car seat is made from oxford fabric which is waterproof and very resistant. This means that your car seats will be protected from claw marks and scratching as well as dirt, wet mud and accidents.
The quilted flannel and plush textures are very soft so your dog will be able to enjoy the ultimate comfort when they ride in the car.
One of the great things about this car seat is that it is machine washable, which makes it very easy to keep clean. It comes in a beige and cream design which is very neutral and will look good in any car. This product is only available from Amazon
- Comfort – The soft fabric make it very comfortable for your dog
- Structure – The bucket design provides stability and a firm structure
- Elevation – Your dog can easily see out of the window and see you while you’re driving
- Safety – The safety lead will keep your dog in their seat and safe during the journey
- Size – This car seat is only suitable for smaller dogs and comes in one size
- Design – There is only one colour scheme to choose from
This is a very budget friendly option that is easy to assemble and install. It is foldable, which makes it convenient to store when not in use. It is 45cm by 45cm by 48 cm which is ideal for small to medium dogs.
This car seat can be used in a basket design which has a sturdy structure, or it can be folded out into a seat cover to give your dog more room. This also makes it possible to use it for larger dogs too. The cover measures 52cm by 52cm by 58cm.
You can use this car seat in the front passenger seat or on the back seats, and the buckles are universal and make it very easy to install in any vehicle.
The clip-on seat belt attaches to your dog’s harness or collar and keeps them safe throughout the journey. It also keeps them in their seat so they cannot distract you while you are driving.
The car seat is made out of durable oxford fabric which can be wiped or sponged down. It is hand wash only and can also be hoovered to remove hairs.
The fabric is waterproof to protect your seats and is also tear resistant which means your dog will have a hard time chewing through it or ripping it with their claws. This car seat is also available from Dogly
- Installation – The universal buckles make it easy to install in any car
- Storage – It is foldable for easy storage when the car seat is not in use
- Versatile – It can be used as a basket style seat or as a seat cover which makes it usable for small or larger dogs
- Safety – The seat belt keeps your dog safe and stops them from distracting you while you drive
- Maintenance – This car seat is hand wash only which means it will take longer to clean
- Design – This car seat is only available in one colour
This is a perfect solution for people with multiple dogs or larger dogs. This car seat cover sits in the back seat of your car to create a hammock style area for your dogs to relax in during a car journey.
It is waterproof and scratch resistant to protect your seats from mud, dirt and scratching. It covers the footwell to give your dogs more space which is great for large breeds or long car journeys.
This car seat cover has a universal design which means it will fit any car. It attaches to the front and back headrests using adjustable straps which makes it easy to install and remove whenever you need to.
It is machine washable, so if your dogs are muddy or have an accident it is very easy to clean up after them.
The cover has an anti-slip layer on the bottom to keep it in place, even when you are turning sharp corners. There are multiple layers of material to provide comfortable padding for your dog.
The top layer is oxford cloth for durability combined with PVC netting for breathability and grip. You can keep the seat belt receivers out if you want to, which means you can purchase a dog seatbelt separately to use in conjunction with the seat cover. This product is also available from Dogly
- Size – This can be used for dogs of any size and gives them lots of room to stretch out
- Installation – It is universal and easy to install in any vehicle with the adjustable straps
- Durability – The material is strong, waterproof and scratch resistant to protect your car
- Maintenance – This is machine washable and easy to keep clean
- Structure – The cover doesn’t provide a solid structure so your dog still has a lot of free movement in the car
- Seat belt – There is no seat belt included so you will need to purchase one separately
This is a soft, comfortable padded car seat which is ideal for smaller dogs. You can remove the padding to make it easier to wash the bed, which is hand washable only. The bed is made from a blend of polyester, nylon and cotton which makes it durable and soft – an ideal combination for dog products.
This dog seat measures 50cm by 55cm by 25cm. It attaches to the car with adjustable straps that fasten around the back of the seat and/or the headrest.
There is also a safety lead that attaches to your dog’s collar or harness to keep them in the seat during the journey. This keeps your dog safe and stops them from wandering freely within the car.
This car seat comes in three colour choices – black and grey, silver and grey, or blue and grey. You can choose the colour scheme that would work best with your car. It also has useful storage pockets along the side so you can store your dog’s lead, their toys or their treats. This product is only available from Amazon.
- Comfort – This car seat is very soft and padded which makes it comfortable for your dog
- Durable – The blend of fabrics makes it very durable and will last a long time
- Installation – It is really easy to fasten the adjustable straps to install the car seat in ay vehicle
- Design – There are three different colour options to choose from
- Size – This dog car seat comes in one size and is only suitable for smaller dog breeds
- Maintenance – This car seat is hand wash only which can be inconvenient if your dog is muddy or has an accident
This 2-In-1 car seat comes with a built-in seat belt which means that you don’t need to buy one separately. It is the perfect size for small dog breeds and even for cats, measuring 15cm by 10cm by 4cm.
You can install it in the front passenger seat or any of the back passenger seats that have headrests. There are two adjustable straps for installing the car seat – one that fastens around the headrest and one that fastens around the back of the seat itself.
There is also an anchor that slides in between the back and the bottom of the seat to keep the car seat in place at all times, even when turning sharp corners.
You can use this car seat as a basket design or unfold it completely to use it as a car seat cover. This means that it is also possible to use it for larger dogs. When not in use, the car seat can be folded up and kept in the storage bag that comes with it.
The car seat is made from durable oxford material which is waterproof and scratch resistant to provide full protection for your seats. It is hand wash only but you can also use a hoover to remove dog hair. It comes in one colour – black and is only available to purchase via Amazon.
- Accessories – This car seat comes with a seat belt and a storage bag
- Storage – It folds away when not in use which is very convenient
- Installation – It is very easy to install with adjustable straps in any car and in any seat
- Safety – This car seat will keep your dog safe during the journey
- Maintenance – This car seat is hand wash only which can take up more time than machine washing
- Design – It is only available in one colour
- Size – It only comes in one size which is most ideal for smaller breeds of dog
This product has an overwhelming number of positive reviews from customers. It is suitable for dogs up to 6kg in weight which is ideal for small dog breeds and puppies. It measures 40 cm by 32cm by 24 cm and can be fitted into the back seat or the front passenger seat.
The adjustable straps attach to the back of the seat and the headrest, and clip onto all four corners of the cubic design to keep the car seat steady. You can clip them all onto the back seat headrest, or clip two on the back seat headrest and two on the front seat headrest.
The car seat is reinforced with PVC pipes to give it a solid structure but keep it lightweight so it is easy to take in and out of the car. The built in safety lead attaches to your dog’s collar or harness to keep them strapped into the seat.
This keeps them safe during the journey and stops them from wandering freely. There is a really useful storage pocket on the front of the car seat which zips closed, so you can store items that you need to keep close to hand without your dog being able to access them when you’re not looking.
This car seat comes in grey and is hand wash only. It is a universal car seat that can be used in any car and it is only available to purchase from Amazon.
- Reinforced – The car seat is reinforced with PVC pipes which provide structure but are lightweight
- Installation – It is really easy to install this car seat using the adjustable straps and is universal
- Safety – The safety lead will keep your dog safe and in their seat at all times
- Storage – There is a really useful storage pocket on the front with zip closure
- Size – This car seat comes in only one size and is only suitable for smaller breeds of dog
- Design – There is only one colour option available
- Maintenance – You cannot machine wash this car seat, it is hand wash only which is not ideal
This is another fantastic option for people with larger dog breeds or more than one dog to transport in the car. This car seat cover attaches to the head rests of the front and back seats as well as the handles or hooks above the windows using adjustable straps.
This turns the back seats of the car into an enclosed space where your dog has plenty of room to stretch out and be comfortable during the journey.
There is a mesh window which lets your dog see into the front of the car so they know where you are even when they are lying down.
This helps to keep them calm throughout the journey. It is also breathable which will help to keep your dog cool especially if you have the air-conditioning on in the front of the car.
The cover is made out of oxford material which is scratch resistant, with a waterproof layer to protect your seats. It doesn’t matter if your dog is muddy when they get in the car or if they have an accident – your seats will be protected.
Sharp claws or teeth will not be able to easily puncture the material, so it will last you a long time. There is a soft cotton layer in the middle which provides some comfort for your dog when they want to lie down.
The anti-slip layer on the bottom will stop the cover from sliding out of place, even as you turn corners. The cover is machine washable which makes it very easy to keep it hygienic, and is especially handy if your dog is muddy after a walk or has an accident in the car.
You can choose from black with a blue trim or black with a red trim. This product is only available from Amazon with consistent stock.
- Size – This is perfect for large dogs or multiple dogs
- Installation – It is universal and very easy to install in any car
- Durable – The material is durable and waterproof
- Maintenance – It is machine washable which makes it very easy to clean
- Breathable – The breathable mesh panel will keep your dog cool and allow them to see you at all times
- Structure – There is no rigid structure to this car seat cover so your dog could slide around the car when you go around corners.
- Safety – This is very practical but for optimum safety you should also purchase a dog seatbelt
How To Choose The Best Dog Car Seat
We have recommended the best dog car seats, but you need to narrow down the choice and decide which product is going to be best for you and your dog. Here are some things that you should consider to help you decide.
One of the most important things you will need to think about is the size of the dog bed to make sure that it is suitable for your dog. If you have a large dog breed then you might be better off with a car seat cover hammock as your dog will have more room.
If you have a small dog then there are more options available to you. Always remember to check the maximum weight capacity of any dog car seat that you buy.
There are different styles of dog car seats – hammocks, baskets, cubes, bucket seats, or padded soft beds. You need to think about which one is going to be most comfortable for your dog. You should also consider which one is going to be practical, and offer the most safety.
If your dog tends to sit still during a car ride, you might not need a rigid basket style car seat. If your dog struggles to settle or is mischievous, a basket with high sides should help to keep them in place.
You should also think about the height of the seat itself – if your dog loves to look out of the window during a car ride then you should consider a car seat with an elevated seated position to give them a good view.
Some car seats come with accessories like storage pockets for keeping useful items close to hand, a storage bag for the car seat when it’s not in use, or a safety lead or seat belt to keep your dog safe in the car.
If the car seat you choose doesn’t come with these items, you might need to purchase them separately which will cost you more money. This is especially relevant for a seatbelt, as this is important for keeping your dog safe.
A dog car seat is inevitably going to need cleaning at some point – whether your dog is muddy after a walk, they have an accident, or your car starts to smell like your dog.
Car seats that are machine washable are the easiest and most convenient. However, it is not machine washable then check the care instructions. Can the padding or stuffing be removed to make it easier? Can you use detergent or just warm water?
Choosing a car seat that is easy to install will make your life easier. There might be times when you go out without your dog and you need the extra seat to give someone else a lift.
If the car seat is quick and easy to take in and out of the car then you will save a lot of time and hassle. Remember to try and find a car seat that is universal in case you change cars or want to use it in someone else’s car.
Dog car seats can be made out of different materials. Try and look for durable materials that are waterproof and tear resistant.
This will prevent your dog’s claws from ripping the car seat, and will protect your car from any mud or accidents. You also need to consider your dog’s comfort in the car, so try to find a fabric that is soft to the touch.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some frequently asked questions about dog car seats.
Why Do I Need To Use A Dog Car Seat?
Dog car seats are important for keeping your dog safe during car journeys, for preventing you from getting distracted by your dog while you drive, and for protecting your car from getting damaged.
Do I Need To Use A Dog Seat Belt?
It is advisable to use a dog seat belt as it will keep your dog in their seat during the journey, and help to protect them in the event of an accident.
Some car seats come with seat belts or safety leashes and others don’t. It is generally safer to attach a dog seat belt to a harness rather than a collar to avoid pressure on their neck or throat in the event of an accident.
How Do I Get My Dog To Use A Car Seat?
It is best to start when they are a puppy, but you can train older dogs to use a car seat too. Bring the car seat into the house so the dog becomes familiar with it. Let them sniff it and investigate. Encourage your dog into the car seat and give them lots of praise and maybe a treat.
You might want to use a command word to associate with the seat like ‘car’ or ‘in’. Get them used to being clipped in for a few minutes at a time, and then unclipped.
Once they are comfortable using the car seat in the house, you can transition to using it in the car. Start with a short journey of just a few minutes, then build up to longer journeys.
Will I Need To Turn The Airbags Off?
You should only need to adjust the airbags if you are using the car seat in the front passenger seat. Turn the airbag off and move the seat back as far as you can. This will keep your dog as safe as possible in the event of a car accident.
Using a dog car seat can help to keep your dog much safer during car journeys. It is also safer for you, as you won’t be distracted by your dog while you are driving. Car seats also provide protection for your car and will keep it in good condition.
There are different types of car seats, so you need to make sure that you choose the right one for you and your dog. All of the car seats on this list come highly recommended by dog owners and there should be something for everyone.
Last update on 2023-10-13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API