Can Dogs Eat Grapes?

Fruits are both healthy and delicious so it’s no wonder that many humans wonder whether their four-legged friends can also enjoy them. One of the most popular types of fruit is grapes due to their refreshing taste, juiciness, and the range of varieties that are available. But can dogs eat grapes?

Before giving your dog any new food it is best to double-check whether it is a safe food for dogs to consume.

This is especially true with fruits as there are some fruits that are not safe for dogs and are instead toxic and poisonous to dogs. Unfortunately, grapes are one of these fruits and you should never feed grapes to your dog!

In this article, we will take a closer look at why dogs can’t eat grapes. We’ll look at different types of grapes and discover the reasons why grapes are so poisonous. There is a lot of important information in this article, so let’s get started.

Why Can’t Dogs Eat Grapes?

Grapes are known to be extremely toxic to dogs. You should never under any circumstances feed any grapes to your dog. Although some dogs seem to be more sensitive to grapes than others, grapes are toxic to all dogs.

What Types of Grapes Are Poisonous?

All types of grapes are poisonous. This includes both seeded and seedless varieties and grapes of different colors. It also extends to other fruits made from grapes, such as raisins and currants.

There is no type or amount of grape that is considered safe for dogs. 

Why Are Grapes Toxic To Dogs?

Unfortunately, nobody really knows why grapes are so toxic to dogs. The exact chemical in grapes that causes them to be toxic hasn’t been proven although there are a few theories.

Some scientists believe it is the presence of mycotoxin, a toxic substance that is produced by fungus and mould. Others think it might be salicylate, a naturally occurring substance that can decrease blood flow. Another potential cause is tartaric acid.

As nobody knows for sure why grapes are toxic to dogs, this makes them even more dangerous as there is currently no way to make them safe. The only form of prevention is not to eat them.

What Are the Symptoms Of Grape Poisoning?

Can Dogs Eat Grapes

As every dog owner knows, dogs are masters at getting into places they shouldn’t be and eating things they shouldn’t. If you have grapes in your home, all it takes is a couple of seconds of looking away and your furry friend could have decided to give them a try. 

This is why it’s important to recognise the symptoms of grape toxicity so you can act on them as soon as they appear. Here are the most common symptoms to look out for:

  • Vomiting and diarrhoea, usually within a few hours of consumption
  • Loss of appetite
  • Lethargy and uncharacteristic sluggishness
  • Abdominal pain
  • Dehydration
  • Increased thirst
  • Increased or decreased production of urine
  • Kidney failure

Many of these symptoms are common to several different diseases and illnesses so a dog showing them isn’t necessarily poisoned. However, they all should be checked out regardless of the cause.

What To Do If Your Dog Has Eaten Grapes

If you know or suspect that your dog has eaten some grapes, then you need to act quickly and get your dog treated. Some dogs may seem perfectly fine if they’ve only had a single grape, but it is still important that they are treated.

Contact your vet for advice. If your vet is closed, don’t worry! They will have an out-of-hours service or message that will give you advice.

Your vet may ask you to bring your dog to their surgery or ask you to induce vomiting in your dog to get the grape out before it is fully digested. Listen to your vet’s advice as inducing vomiting on a dog that is having trouble breathing can be dangerous.

How Is Grape Poisoning Treated?

When treating any kind of poisoning, the first step is to try and prevent the toxins from being fully absorbed. This is why your vet may advise inducing vomiting. If you take your dog to the vets, your vet will probably start by inducing vomiting and administering activated charcoal. 

Both of these steps will help prevent the toxins from being absorbed by your dog’s stomach. It can take several hours for grapes to be fully digested so even if your dog ate the grapes a few hours ago, this is usually your vet’s first action.

Depending on how serious the poisoning is, further treatment might be necessary. In a worst-case scenario, grape poisoning can lead to kidney failure so vets might opt for using an IV to help support the kidneys and minimise any damage caused.

What Other Foods Are Toxic For Dogs?

Before you feed any type of human food to your dog, it is best to research whether this is safe. We want to treat our beloved pets but sometimes this isn’t safe. Don’t let their begging puppy dog eyes tempt you to give them something unless you know with certainty that it is safe!

Some of the most common foods that are toxic to dogs include:

  • Alcohol
  • Chocolate
  • Cocoa
  • Garlic
  • Macadamia nuts
  • Onions

Many sweet foods are also poisonous to dogs as they can include xylitol, a natural sweetener commonly used in many sweets.

Final Thoughts

In this article, we confirmed that grapes are poisonous to dogs. Although some dogs may not suffer any obvious ill effects from eating only a small grape, all types of grapes should be completely avoided as they are toxic.

The cause of this toxicity isn’t known, but the symptoms can include vomiting, loss of appetite, lethargy, and in the worst cases, kidney failure. If you think your dog has eaten any grapes you should immediately contact your vet for advice.


  • Jonathan Spaeth

    I'm a professional business person who loves dogs. I'm motivated by a passion for dogs and a deep understanding of pet care and behavior. I have more than 10 years of experience in animal healthcare—my lifelong passion for helping dogs.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *