- 1 What makes a good dog bed?
- 2 Types of dog beds
- 3 Best dog beds you can buy now
- 3.1 PetFusion Memory Foam Dog Bed
- 3.2 Bunty Pet Basket
- 3.3 Wolfybeds Luxury Wraparound Bed
- 3.4 KosiPet Deluxe High Density Mattress
- 3.5 The Dog’s Balls Premium Bed
- 3.6 Snoooze Antibacterial Orthopaedic Donut Bed
- 3.7 Bunty Raised Dog Bed
- 3.8 PetFace Seriously Strong Dog Bed
- 3.9 Orthopaedic dog sofa
- 3.10 P&L Heavy Duty Softee Bed
- 3.11 Max Quattro
- 3.12 Rosewood Jumbo Cord Plush Dog Bed
- 3.13 Brindle Soft Memory Foam bed
Dogs can spend a lot of time sleeping and relaxing so getting a good dog bed is extremely important. Dog beds also come in various shapes, sizes and materials to suit all sorts of breeds and medical requirements if there are any. When shopping around for the best dog bed take your time to assess what will suit your dog and your home.
JugDog have gathered our picks of great beds for dogs for your viewing to give you a wide choice to suit whatever you’re after.
Below is a table of the best of the best.
What makes a good dog bed?
Not all dog sleeping bedding are made equal, some are made differently than others and serve a different purpose such as orthopaedic beds or raised beds, some beds are made with different materials such as suede, leather and nylon whilst other beds are made flat without walls and others are made to be burrowing beds. But, all things considered what are essential features of a dog bed to make it a top choice? Let’s explore:
Good dog beds should be well made with a decent construction. This means excellent stitching using quality materials enabling the dog bed to hold its shape well. Dogs will use the bed an awful lot they’ll be moving about which means any dog bed made poorly with poor materials will just be ruined in no time at all. A good construction helps with being crate friendly.
Easy to wash
Dogs can get very smelly and will transfer that smell onto the dog bed. Even if they’re relatively clean pooches they will still sweat on the bed. Sometimes, accidents can also happen like soiling themselves or be sick on the bed. With this in mind, make sure to find a dog bed that’s easily washable – they don’t necessarily need to have a removable cover but having clear washing instructions is a clear bonus.
Perhaps the most important factor from the point of view of the dog. Make sure you get a bed that’s comfortable. This means having extra support in the bed itself to handle the weight of the dog so that they’re ‘floating’ in the bed. Think about what makes your own bed comfortable and then apply it to your dog’s new bed.
The bed doesn’t need to be indestructible but being well made and tough is important. Strong beds should be somewhat chew and digging resistant and not be destroyable in few minutes of chew time. At some point your dog may try and chew the bed, make sure yours can handle it.
Types of dog beds
Dog beds come in all shapes, sizes materials and uses so we’ve categorised them for you for easy navigation and perhaps as an aid so you know what you’re looking for.
Cheap dog beds
Cheap dog beds are just that. Entry level, nothing fancy but enough about them to do their job. Cheap dog beds are handy for those who want to find out of their dog will take to a dog bed before deciding on a better investment down the line. Or of course, great for those on a budget in general.
Luxury dog beds
Some beds you can find are made to be luxuriously comfortable made with only the best materials for your pampered pooch.
Raised dog beds
Raised or elevated dog beds are ideal for keeping a tidy house and for keeping your dogs cool as the heat escapes easier. Perhaps not for everyone but one to try out if you feel it might help.
Orthopaedic dog beds
Orthopaedic dog beds are designed to be more comforting for hounds with muscular problems and/or the aged. Designed to be comfortable and help with circulation.
Best dog beds you can buy now
PetFusion Memory Foam Dog Bed
One of the best dog beds on the market today. Memory foam and orthopaedic support, removable covers to make washing a doddle, made using premium quality components making its a very well made bed which will last you and your pooch a long time. PetFusion are so confident about their product that they offer a 12 month guarantee. This is tear resistant but not particularly chew resistant.
- PREMIUM COMPONENTS: (i) SOLID 2.5 inch MEMORY FOAM base for superior overall comfort, reduced joint pain and improved health, mobility, & energy. (ii) Recycled 'green' polyfill support bolsters are generously filled. (iii) Durable & comfortable polyester (65%) & cotton (35%) twill
- SMART DESIGN: (i) Base & bolsters provide optimal support and comfort. (ii) Water resistant & tear resistant cover. (iii) Non-skid bottom. (iv) Blends in seamlessly with your décor. (v) Replacement covers available separately
- Easy to clean (I) Removable cover is machine washable, (ii) Simple to spot clean & remove hair. Tumble dry on gentle setting. Do not use bleach when washing
Bunty Pet Basket
The Bunty pet basket is the highest reviewed dog bed on Amazon and with good reason. A simple burrowed in design with high cozy walls to make your dog extremely comfortable. Not the sturdiest bed thanks to its plush innards or a particularly chew proof bed but it is on the cheap side and available in 3 sizes.
- The Bunty Heritage dog beds are designed with comfort in mind with its high sided walls making this one of the most comfy and cosy beds on the market.
- Created using ultra soft plush fur, our Heritage beds make your pet feel at home anywhere, the outer material is strong polyester in a tartan pattern.
- The rubber-gripped bottom provides a firm foundation and adds an extra layer of insulation.
Wolfybeds Luxury Wraparound Bed
This exquisite dog bed by Wolfybeds is made with fleece and faux suede with a donut design which gives a comfortable raised outer wall for extra comfort and cozyness. Has a fully removable cover for easy washing. Tougher than most beds but not indestructible. As it is round it is not perfectly compatible with dog crates.
- **Search for Wolfybeds site for details on our bed personalisation service. Special offers and discounts available!!**
- Wolfybeds Medium luxury fleece and faux suede wraparound dog bed 79cm x 79cm (31" x 31")
- With bolster cushion for additional support - essential for older dogs
KosiPet Deluxe High Density Mattress
Not strictly a bed, but this entry level foam mattress is an ideal solution to have around the house and inside a dog crate thanks to it’s square shape. It’s huge, waterproof, easily washed and super comfy and an ideal solution for large breeds or even smaller bread if you want to spoil them with a lot of space. Best part? It’s so cheap for what you get. Does not offer any joint support so this is a very basic but great value for money dog mattress.
- Kosipet Deluxe High Density Foam Matress Dog Bed
- A Huge Size Of 114 x 80 x 10 cm
- High Density Foam Encased in A Waterproof Lining Once Encased This Helps Prevent Tick And Flea Infestation
The Dog’s Balls Premium Bed
Designed with comfort, safety and durability in mind the Dog’s bed by The Dog’s Balls (yes, that’s the company’s name) is a cracking quality dog bed/mattress. Made using quality Oxford fabric which makes it waterproof and robust to keep it’s bright colours wash after wash. With different sizes and colours available this bed can suit almost any decor at home. This bed is also notable for being highly portable as it can be rolled up with ease.
- A high quality bed available in a range of stylish colours to suit your home décor and fit effortlessly into your living space. Available in Medium, Large & Extra Large. Infographics and accurate measurements provided to help you to match your dog to the best mattress size
- Outer covering is made of durable Oxford fabric with added coating to make the bed waterproof. Resistant to abrasion and chemical agents, Oxford fabric ages well and washes well, keeping its appearance after each wash. Due to the fact that the bed is waterproof it can also be spot- treated and wiped clean
- Composed of a dense, solid foam mattress to support the dog's body surrounded by a long, removable pillow which is shaped like a tube and stuffed with Dacron
Snoooze Antibacterial Orthopaedic Donut Bed
Another donut bed in the list and this one’s a cracker. Antibacterial material and orthopaedic support makes this a top choice for elder dog’s who may have a weak immune system and prone to soil themselves. Comfortable and easy to clean, the Snoooze dog bed also has a good construction so it stays comfortable and holds it shape for longer giving you great value for money.
- This Snoooze Dog Bed is antibacterial & orthopaedic, it reduces odours and minimizes bacteria whilst providing full support to your dog during rest.
- This bed stays plump for longer making it a long-lasting comfort for your pet during bedtime
- This bed assists in preventing allergies, muscle aliment and helps protection against bacteria
Bunty Raised Dog Bed
Our entry level raised dog bed is by Bunty. Simple, practically indestructible and very cheap. Keeps them cold in the summer and warm in winter by taking them off the ground. A bit plain looking and basic but if you’re wanting to try out raised beds before making a more luxurious choice then try this one first.
- Available in sizes - SMALL, MEDIUM and LARGE.
- Crafted using rust resistant coated stainless steel.
- Weave fabric encourages airflow beneath and through bed, perfect for those hot summer months!
PetFace Seriously Strong Dog Bed
Our first entry in the chew resistant category is the Seriously Strong mattress by PetFace. Not indestructible but should keep persistent chewers at bay presumably as you train them to stop doing it. Is it the most comfortable, cozy, cheap or luxurious? No but it is mighty tough and that alone may trump all the other features for some owners. It’s not like it’s not comfortable though but it isn’t it’s forte when compared to the others we’ve named here.
Can be easily wiped clean
- Our Seriously Strong Mattresses are versatile enough to use in your car, your pet carrier or as a relaxation mat in your home. These dog beds are NOT indestructible against persistent chewers, puppies with baby teeth or mischievous pets.
- Colour: Black.
- Small - Length: 43cm/17". Width: 69cm/27"
Orthopaedic dog sofa
This luxurious dog sofa is ideal for those with elderly mutts who just want to relax! Has thick foam for squishiness and to help keep it shape. It’s not classed as a raised bed but the elevated entrance helps adding that extra level of relaxation and eases the pressure on joints. Perfect for dogs in need of an orthopaedic solution.
- Colour: brown/beige,Memory foam Additional, thick foam mat for added comfort and to prevent flattening
- Comfortable height for your dog to lie down,Reduces stress on joints and spine
- Material: 100% polyester
P&L Heavy Duty Softee Bed
This masterpiece brings some top bonuses together – it’s very durable (not indestructible) and comfort thanks to its burrowed design and tough materials. It’s also waterproof and resistant to odours to boot! This is one of JugDog’s top choices for an allrounder.
- Heavy duty material
- Waterproof & water repellent material
- High qualtity fillings
Another bed that tick a lot of our boxes is the Max Quattro 2 in 1 dog lounger. A premium choice that would be good enough for humans. Made of tough stuff to be somewhat chew resistant and it’s water resistant, has changeable colours as shown in the image above. A great dog bed.
- For other models and offers click above on BedDog under this title
- 2 choices in one bed for dogs,turn the pillow simply inside out
- Removable cover, made of high quality Cordura material, 2 small pillows as a souvenir included ca. 18x18 cm(7x7 inch)
Rosewood Jumbo Cord Plush Dog Bed
Another bed that does exactly as it says on the tin. Burrowed design with high walls for extra comfort and fancy plush innards and cushions for comfort. Not very chew resistant or waterproof but it sure is comfortable! Also machine washable.
- Padded grey cord oval sleeper with a soft, luxury plush inner.
- Stylish and modern for today's home
- Machine washable at 30°c
Brindle Soft Memory Foam bed
The brindle soft memory foam dog bed is an excellent entry level orthopaedic dog bed which comes in a variety of colours and sizes to brighten up any room it’s placed in. Easy to wash in hot or cold water to get rid of any smell it may gather. However, this bed isn’t the most chew proof bed you can find and not recommended for naughty dogs!
- A 3-inch layer of orthopedic shredded memory foam fill eliminates pressure points and increases breathability
- Portable, lightweight bed is great for travel and compatible with 18" x 12" dog crates
- Soft, supportive consistency conforms to weight and pressure to relieve achy joints, arthritis and hip dysplasia
Last update on 2018-01-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API