Dogs can spend a lot of time sleeping and relaxing so getting one of the best dog beds is extremely important. Dog beds come in various shapes, sizes and materials to suit all sorts of breeds and medical requirements if there are any. When shopping around for the best dog bed take your time to assess what will suit your dog and your home.
Do you need a specialist bed for your dog?
Check out our other dog bed product guides:
JugDog has gathered our picks of great beds for dogs for your viewing to give you a wide choice to suit whatever you’re after. We’ve looked at a wide range of features and tested all of them or have gathered feedback from partners who have tested them. When looking at the dog bed market overall we’ve been careful to choose more than one ‘top bed’ so that we have recommendations for a few different types of dogs and needs such as orthopaedic beds, raised beds and so on.
Best Dog Beds in the UK
- Best Dog Beds in the UK
- Best Dog Bed Reviews
- 1. PetFusion Memory Foam Dog Bed
- 2. Bunty Pet Basket
- 3. SONGMICS XL Dog Bed Sofa
- 4. Wolfybeds Luxury Wraparound Bed
- 5. KosiPet Deluxe High Density Mattress
- 6. The Dog’s Balls Premium Bed
- 7. Snoooze Antibacterial Orthopaedic Donut Bed
- 8. Bunty Raised Dog Bed
- 9. PetFace Seriously Strong Dog Bed
- 10. Orthopaedic dog sofa
- 11. P&L Heavy Duty Softee Bed
- 12. Max Quattro Dog Bed
- 13. Rosewood Jumbo Cord Plush Dog Bed
- 14. Brindle Soft Memory Foam bed
- What is a dog bed?
- What makes a good dog bed?
- Types of dog beds
- Your thoughts
To save you from having to trawl through thousands of words of text, we’ve collated four different categories of beds in an easy to digest table to make it easier to find what our recommended best beds are. We’ve looked at the best value for money (cheapest), best for toughness, best for orthopaedic support and lastly the best overall winner. Because there isn’t just ‘one bed for all dogs’ out there it’s important to get the right one that fits your budget, home and of course the dogs needs. As we review more and more beds we will keep the table up to date in the event a new ‘best’ is found.
Below is a regularly updated table of the best of the best.
Best Dog Bed Reviews
Below begins out list of the beds we’ve been sent, tested and reviewed via our faithful jug, Jeff. We have only included beds we deem to be ‘good’ as obviously the page is about the the best dog beds available now in the UK. We’ve included as many different types as possible and from different price ranges to keep every visitor happy.
So, in no particular order:
1. PetFusion Memory Foam Dog Bed
The PetFusion Memory Foam bed is undoubtedly one of the best dog beds on the market today and with good reason. This bed is made with much better materials than most other beds on the list and uses the same memory foam technology that human beds have to really comfort and help a dog feel at home. PetFusion have made this bed for orthopaedic purposes first to help those with joint pain or maybe even recovering from injury. This is not to say that dogs that are not in discomfort wouldn’t love the bed though so don’t let any of this dissuade you – all we are saying is that if the bed is comfortable for injured dogs then imagine how comfortable it would be for a healthy one!
This bed is also water resistant and designed to slow absorption in the material for those accidents in life, making it an ideal bed for young pups who are not house trained yet or senior dogs in the later stages who just can’t hold on any more. The removable covers make washing the bed a doddle in case of the same accidents as well, letting you get on with your day and your dog stress free and back in in a few hours. There is some assembly with the bed but not much outside of putting the memory foam base into the covers and close the zip.
The bed in the image is a small but it does come in small (64 x 51 x 14 cm), large (91 x 71 x 23 cm) , X large (112 x 86 x 25 cm) and XX large (127 x 102 x 33 cm) sizes to cater for most dogs. Extremely small dogs may be drowned in the bed and extremely large dogs may find it a tad too small but we would think that those breeds would probably have specialised beds anyway. This bed is not the cheapest and we wouldn’t expect it to be either due to its high quality expect to pay around £50 for small, £90 for large, £140 for X Large and £180 for XX Large. There are only two colours available which are grey and brown, so a bit boring.
PetFusion are so confident about their product that they offer a 12 month guarantee. This is tear resistant but not particularly chew resistant but it was not designed for that, this is a bed for comfort and orthopaedic and not for longevity, check out our toughest bed section for that.
- Supremely comfortable
- Orthopaedic support
- Premium components
- Water resistant
- 12 month guarantee
- Not indestructible
- Only comes in two colours
The Pet Fusion Memory Foam is our best rated orthopaedic dog bed and one of the highest rated beds in general thanks to its incredible comfort and overall build quality. It’s expensive and not for destructive dogs but you wouldn’t be getting this for that type anyway. A highly recommended product.
- PREMIUM COMPONENTS: (i) SOLID 6.5 CM MEMORY FOAM base for superior overall comfort, reduced joint pain and improved health, mobility, & energy. (ii) Recycled 'green' polyfill support bolsters are generously filled. (iii) Durable & comfortable polyester (65%) & cotton (35%) twill
- SMART DESIGN: (i) Base & bolsters provide optimal support and comfort. (ii) Water resistant & tear resistant cover. (iii) Non-skid bottom. (iv) Blends in seamlessly with your décor. (v) Replacement covers available separately
- EASY TO CLEAN: (i) Removable cover is machine washable. (ii) Simple to spot clean & remove hair
- IDEAL FOR SMALL DOGS AS WELL AS CATS: (i) 64 x 51 x 14 CM. Can easily hold 25+ KG. (ii) [Search PetFusion small pet blanket for new matching blanket]
2. Bunty Pet Basket
The Bunty pet basket is the highest reviewed dog bed on Amazon and with good reason. A simple burrowed in design with high cozy walls to make your dog extremely comfortable. Not the sturdiest bed thanks to its plush innards or a particularly chew proof bed but it is on the cheap side and available in 3 sizes.
- The Bunty Heritage dog beds are designed with comfort in mind with its high sided walls making this one of the most comfy and cosy beds on the market.
- Created using ultra soft plush fur, our Heritage beds make your pet feel at home anywhere, the outer material is strong polyester in a tartan pattern.
- The rubber-gripped bottom provides a firm foundation and adds an extra layer of insulation.
- Choose from two different colours - GREEN and RED.
3. SONGMICS XL Dog Bed Sofa
The Songmics XL dog bed sofa is an absolutely spectacular bed for quite a few reasons. First and foremost are the high quality materials used which helps make this bed be tear and friction resistant – this bed should last you and your dog quite some time, secondly is the “PP padding” and Oxford fabric whatever they are which makes it allergen resistant so your pooch has a better rest.
The construction of the bed is solid and has raised edges to give the dog more of a natural “den” feel and a place to rest their head if they needed to. Our dog often uses the sides to put his chin so it seems to be a great design feature.
A wet cloth is enough to clean this bed saving time and money and saves on the structure of the bed weakening with repetitive machine washes. The dark colouring of the bed also makes it less obvious if there are any stains.
The price point of this bed is up there with the best of them in terms of value for money, even when it’s not on offer. Overall, this bed ticks all of the boxes and is a strong contender for the best dog bed and well worth a look.
- WHAT A LUXURIOUS DOG BED: This dog bed boasts spacious room, fine workmanship, durable material and easy cleaning. Your canine companion will live the high life with this soft dog sofa
- BIG MATTERS: It would be terrible if your big friends try to curl up in a bed far too small for them. This roomy dog sofa is designed to offer enough space thanks to its ample inner dimensions. It doesn't matter if a Border Collie or a large Alaskan Malamute is strolling around in your home
- ATTENTION TO DETAIL: Gone are the days of a torn apart, badly bitten dog bed. This one is made to last with durable Oxford fabric. The nicely padded cushion is stitched in a way to prevent filling movement
- CLEAN WITHIN THE BLINK OF AN EYE: No need to waste so much time on cleaning as this dog bed resists hair; you only need to use a damp cloth or brush to clean it
4. Wolfybeds Luxury Wraparound Bed
This exquisite dog bed by Wolfybeds is made with fleece and faux suede with a donut design which gives a comfortable raised outer wall for extra comfort and cozyness. Has a fully removable cover for easy washing. Tougher than most beds but not indestructible. As it is round it is not perfectly compatible with dog crates.
- **Search for Wolfybeds site for details on our bed personalisation service. Special offers and discounts available!!**
- Wolfybeds Medium luxury fleece and faux suede wraparound dog bed 79cm x 79cm (31" x 31")
- With bolster cushion for additional support - essential for older dogs
- Fully removable and washable cover
5. KosiPet Deluxe High Density Mattress
Not strictly a bed, but this entry level foam mattress is an ideal solution to have around the house and inside a dog crate thanks to it’s square shape. It’s huge, waterproof, easily washed and super comfy and an ideal solution for large breeds or even smaller bread if you want to spoil them with a lot of space. Best part? It’s so cheap for what you get. Does not offer any joint support so this is a very basic but great value for money dog mattress.
- Kosipet Deluxe High Density Foam Mattress Dog Bed. A Huge Size Of 114 x 80 x 10 cm
- High Density Foam Encased in A Waterproof Lining Once Encased This Helps Prevent Tick And Flea Infestation
- The Outer Cover Is fastened At One End With Velcro And Removable For Machine Or Hand Washing At 30 Degrees
- Possibly The Best Bed On The Market Giving Your Pet The Comfort It Deserves
6. The Dog’s Balls Premium Bed
Designed with comfort, safety and durability in mind the Dog’s bed by The Dog’s Balls (yes, that’s the company’s name) is a cracking quality dog bed/mattress. Made using quality Oxford fabric which makes it waterproof and robust to keep it’s bright colours wash after wash. With different sizes and colours available this bed can suit almost any decor at home. This bed is also notable for being highly portable as it can be rolled up with ease.
- Red Kite Store
7. Snoooze Antibacterial Orthopaedic Donut Bed
Another donut bed in the list and this one’s a cracker. Antibacterial material and orthopaedic support makes this a top choice for elder dog’s who may have a weak immune system and prone to soil themselves. Comfortable and easy to clean, the Snoooze dog bed also has a good construction so it stays comfortable and holds it shape for longer giving you great value for money.
- This Snoooze Dog Bed is antibacterial & orthopaedic, it reduces odours and minimizes bacteria whilst providing full support to your dog during rest.
- This bed stays plump for longer making it a long-lasting comfort for your pet during bedtime
- This bed assists in preventing allergies, muscle aliment and helps protection against bacteria
- Easy to clean - removable covers and washable
ALSO READ: Flea Treatment For Dogs
8. Bunty Raised Dog Bed
Our entry level raised dog bed is by Bunty. Simple, practically indestructible and very cheap. Keeps them cold in the summer and warm in winter by taking them off the ground. A bit plain looking and basic but if you’re wanting to try out raised beds before making a more luxurious choice then try this one first.
- Available in sizes - SMALL, MEDIUM and LARGE.
- Crafted using rust resistant coated stainless steel.
- Weave fabric encourages airflow beneath and through bed, perfect for those hot summer months!
- Raise your pet off the cold floor during winter months to prevent cold related aches and pains.
9. PetFace Seriously Strong Dog Bed
Our first entry in the chew resistant category is the Seriously Strong mattress by PetFace. Not indestructible but should keep persistent chewers at bay presumably as you train them to stop doing it. Is it the most comfortable, cozy, cheap or luxurious? No but it is mighty tough and that alone may trump all the other features for some owners. It’s not like it’s not comfortable though but it isn’t it’s forte when compared to the others we’ve named here.
Can be easily wiped clean
- Our Seriously Strong Mattresses are versatile enough to use in your car, your pet carrier or as a relaxation mat in your home. These dog beds are NOT indestructible against persistent chewers, puppies with baby teeth or mischievous pets.
- Colour: Black.
- Small - Length: 43cm/17". Width: 69cm/27"
- Material: Fabric: 100% Polyester. Filling: 100% Polyester Fibre.
10. Orthopaedic dog sofa
This luxurious dog sofa is ideal for those with elderly mutts who just want to relax! Has thick foam for squishiness and to help keep it shape. It’s not classed as a raised bed but the elevated entrance helps adding that extra level of relaxation and eases the pressure on joints. Perfect for dogs in need of an orthopaedic solution.
11. P&L Heavy Duty Softee Bed
This masterpiece brings some top bonuses together – it’s very durable (not indestructible) and comfort thanks to its burrowed design and tough materials. It’s also waterproof and resistant to odours to boot! This is one of JugDog’s top choices for an allrounder.
- Heavy duty material
- Waterproof & water repellent material
- High qualtity fillings
- Easy to keep clean & odour free
12. Max Quattro Dog Bed
Another bed that tick a lot of our boxes is the Max Quattro 2 in 1 dog lounger. A premium choice that would be good enough for humans. Made of tough stuff to be somewhat chew resistant and it’s water resistant, has changeable colours as shown in the image above. A great dog bed.
- For more models and great offers on Amazon click above on Bed-Dog under the title
- Cosy and pleasantly soft: Optimum lying comfort due to the new, joint- and spine-friendly filling made of foam flakes, with comfort entry
- Robust, stable dog pillow: Durable dog mat with an edge, increased scratch resistance and water-repellent surface, dimensionally stable and slip-resistant
- Versatile dog sleeping area: Indoor and outdoor dog bed, lying area, resting area for house, garden or even car
13. Rosewood Jumbo Cord Plush Dog Bed
Another bed that does exactly as it says on the tin. Burrowed design with high walls for extra comfort and fancy plush innards and cushions for comfort. Not very chew resistant or waterproof but it sure is comfortable! Also machine washable.
- Padded Grey cord oval sleeper with a soft, luxury plush inner
- Stylish and modern for today's home
- Machine washable at 30 Degreec
14. Brindle Soft Memory Foam bed
The brindle soft memory foam dog bed is an excellent entry level orthopaedic dog bed which comes in a variety of colours and sizes to brighten up any room it’s placed in. Easy to wash in hot or cold water to get rid of any smell it may gather. However, this bed isn’t the most chew proof bed you can find and not recommended for naughty dogs!
- A 3-inch layer of orthopedic shredded memory foam fill eliminates pressure points and increases breathability
- Portable, lightweight bed is great for travel and compatible with 18" x 12" dog crates
- Soft, supportive consistency conforms to weight and pressure to relieve achy joints, arthritis and hip dysplasia
- Soft microsuede cover can be removed and laundered - machine wash cold to hot with bedding on gentle cycle; tumble dry low
What is a dog bed?
A dog bed is a place where your dog can rest, relax and of course sleep. Most dog owners out there will have some kind of a sleeping area specifically for their furry friend which may come in the form of a mattress, basket or even a burrow to mimic their natural instincts to find a den. The most common feature of a dog bed is softness which isn’t too different from the beds that you and I will sleep in. A dog bed allows your dog to rest in comfort and to keep warm as they are elevated from the floor while avoiding health problems associated with a bad sleep on a hard floor.
Dog beds have evolved quite a bit over time and now manufacturers even offer luxury dog beds and memory foam dog beds. But, g
What makes a good dog bed?
Not all dog beds sleeping bedding are made equal, some are made differently than others and serve a different purpose such as orthopaedic beds or raised beds, some beds are made with different materials such as suede, leather and nylon whilst other beds are made flat without walls and others are made to be burrowing beds. But, all things
Good dog beds should be well made with a decent construction. This means excellent stitching using quality materials enabling the dog bed to hold its shape well. Dogs will use the bed an awful lot they’ll be moving about which means any dog bed made poorly with poor materials will just be ruined in no time at all. A good construction helps with being crate friendly.
Easy to wash
Dogs can get very smelly and will transfer that smell onto the dog bed. Even if they’re relatively clean pooches they will still sweat on the bed. Sometimes, accidents can also happen like soiling themselves or be sick on the bed. With this in mind, make sure to find a dog bed that’s easily washable – they don’t necessarily need to have a removable cover but having clear washing instructions is a clear bonus.
Perhaps the most important factor from the point of view of the dog. Make sure you get a bed that’s comfortable. This means having extra support in the bed itself to handle the weight of the dog so that they’re ‘floating’ in the bed. Think about what makes your own bed comfortable and then apply it to your dog’s new bed.
The bed doesn’t need to be indestructible but being well made and tough is important. Strong beds should be somewhat chew and digging resistant and not be destroyable in few minutes of chew time. At some point your dog may try and chew the bed, make sure yours can handle it. For tips on keeping nails trim and beds in one piece check out our best dog nail clippers page.
Types of dog beds
Dog beds come in all shapes, sizes materials and uses so we’ve categorised them for you for easy navigation and perhaps as an aid so you know what you’re looking for.
Cheap dog beds
Cheap dog beds are just that. Entry level, nothing fancy but enough about them to do their job. Cheap dog beds are handy for those who want to find out of their dog will take to a dog bed before deciding on a better investment down the line. Or of course, great for those on a budget in general.
Luxury dog beds
Some beds you can find are made to be luxuriously comfortable made with only the best materials for your pampered pooch.
Raised dog beds
Raised or elevated dog beds are ideal for keeping a tidy house and for keeping your dogs cool as the heat escapes easier. Perhaps not for everyone but one to try out if you feel it might help.
Orthopaedic dog beds
Orthopaedic dog beds are designed to be more comforting for hounds with muscular problems and/or the aged. Designed to be comfortable and help with circulation.
RELATED: Waterproof Beds
We’re always looking for feedback to help keep the JugDog community fresh, active and forward thinking. Have you purchased any of these beds and would like to add some thoughts to the review? Perhaps you had a particularly good or bad experience and feel that other readers really need to know? Maybe you’ve got one of the above beds and found it to be amazing and just wanted to put other potential owners at ease. Lastly, is there a bed you have that isn’t on the list and think it needs to be included?
Whatever your thoughts, we want to know! Please share any thoughts with us in the comments section below!
Last update on 2019-03-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API