In the UK it gets cold around late October and can last all the way to March. Many people will be deterred walking their dogs if the weather gets too cold and sometimes you can’t blame them, but it’s important to remember that your dog’s need for exercise is important throughout the year. To answer the question ‘Should I walk my dog in cold weather?’ is yes, but not when it’s too cold and not for too long if it’s 0 or below. We’ve also got some tips here to make walking your dog in low temperatures a nice experience for both.
With very windy and cold weather we always recommend getting a warm waterproof coat like the below for dogs with thinner coats and without as much blubber around like our Jug!
- Typically fits Cavalier King Charles, Fox Terrier, West Highland
- Cold weather protection
- Safety reflective features
They need exercise
The most important thing here is to remember that exercise for dogs is important throughout the year, prolonged time without being outside and social interaction with other dogs can have an adverse effect on their health. Try to read this article as a guide on how to get them walking in the winter rather than reasons to avoid it. We do not recommend avoiding it unless it’s extremely cold and dangerous out there.
Some dogs can handle it better than others
Some dogs can handle cold weather better than others. Think big dogs with thick fur and that are stocky. Does your dog have the natural tools to handle the cold? If you have a skinny breed like a Chihuahua then it may be better to stay indoors or keeping the dog wrapped up in a good coat for shorter periods and put on a dog tracker in case they get lost. If you are blessed with a husky or a long haired breed then it may well be business as usual for them.
However, if you have an elderly/puppy dog or one that is ill then sometimes avoiding the cold may not be the worst idea.
Wrap up warm
As mentioned above, make sure that both you and your pooch are wrapped up warm with a good quality dog coat to keep the heat in, we recommend pairing the dog coat with a good harness underneath. For yourself, you can get a nice hat, coat and gloves. Pro tip for the gloves: get some which have some grip on the fingers to keep a hold of the lead without slipping if they pull away suddenly.
Make the walk exciting
Movement generates heat and that will warm up your pooch nice and quick. If it’s safe to do so, why not let them off the lead and play some fetch or even have a run instead of a walk?
Take care of their paws
Winter brings harsh chemicals and materials on the pavements and roads – salt grit, snow, ice, de-icer. This stuff is no good on your dog’s paws and can really cause some irritation by drying the paws out, cause a stinging sensation and if they have a cut already on their paws it can be really painful. Our first tip is, of course, avoiding the nasty stuff, the second tip is to give their paws a clean after a wintery walk.
- 【HIGH QUALITY METERIAL】:Foot washing cup is made from gentle silicone bristles which will help remove dirt and mud from your dog's paw cleans off mud, sand, dirt, ice melt &Prevents paw irritation due to salt or other contaminants in the environment.
- 【EFFECTIVE AND GENTLE TOOL】:The mud washer is a gentle and effective tool for remove dirt from your paws before touching furniture or carpets.
- 【CLEAN PET PAW GENTLY】:The gentle silicone bristles on the bottle help loosen dirt and mud from your dog's paws. Keep them mess outside- not in your car or home!
- 【EASY TO USE & CLEAN】:Fill in with water and add some sanitizer to the dog paw, put the paw in and rotate the cleaner， The internal part could be separated and just water flushing could make that clean easily
Stay in if it’s just too cold
If the temperature is in the zero or below, sometimes it may just be better to stay indoors. Consider exercising them in doors with some play time or let them get some time with their favourite toys.
Here’s a handy infographic we’ve found which may explain things a bit better.
Last update on 2019-04-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API