Last updated: March 22, 2019

4 Human Foods To Never Feed To Your Pooch

Last updated: March 22, 2019

Humans have been feeding their beloved canine companions table scraps since the dawn of time, completely oblivious to the dangers hidden in a slice of chocolate cake or steak and onion pie. According to renowned UK canine dietician, Kristina Johansen, thousands of dog owners are literally risking their dogs’ lives by feeding them ‘human’ food. As a responsible and loving jug owner, it is important to be able to distinguish between harmless and harmful treats. Don’t ever give any of the following foods to your dog as they can not only cause great discomfort but death as well, even in small quantities.

Chocolate

As tempting as it may be to sneak your beloved jug a piece of chocolate, don’t.  Chocolate contains a fairly large amount of methylxanthine which, when ingested by dogs, can cause diarrhoea, vomiting, extreme thirst, seizures and, sadly, even death. Dark chocolate is significantly more dangerous than white chocolate with baking chocolate being the most hazardous as it contains increased amounts of theobromine and caffeine. Do right by your jug and invest in a quality dog food filled with nutrients such as those recommended by pawster.com as well as vet-approved treats to keep him in tip-top shape at all times.

Xylitol

Xylitol is a sweetener used in many diet products including sodas, chewing gum, baked goods, and candy. When ingested by a dog it can cause a severe drop in his blood sugar, also causing severe liver damage and death. Some of the symptoms of xylitol ingestion include loss of coordination, vomiting, and seizures.  It is believed that as little as half a teaspoon of Xylitol is enough to kill a 10-pound dog, demonstrating just how important it is to keep it away from your precious jug.

Yeasted bread dough

Did you know that normal raw bread dough can be extremely poisonous to your dog?  The small amounts of ethanol found in yeasted products can cause intoxication as well as result in huge amounts of gas to accumulate in your dog’s intestines and stomach. Symptoms of intoxication include excessive panting, tremours, severe restlessness, vomiting and seizures. If your dog displays any of these symptoms and you suspect he might have ingested bread dough (or alcohol) he needs to remain under a vet’s supervision until the symptoms subside.

Onions and garlic

The entire onion family is toxic to dogs due to a compound known as thiosulphate which causes severe anaemia and gastro. Garlic is believed to be up to 5 times as toxic as onions and although it is known to be more toxic to cats and certain Japanese breeds such as Akitas, ingestion can be very detrimental to all canines. Symptoms of consumption often only appear days later and can include lethargy, severe diarrhoea and red-tinged urine.  Onion is often a ‘hidden’ ingredient in many foods including sauces and gravies making it very important to think twice before you give your jug any human food to eat.

As much as your jug may be a part of your family, it is very important to not feed it any human food that may be detrimental to his health. By investing in a vet-approved dog food you will not only eliminate the need for table scraps but also ensure that your best friend remains happy and in good health for as long as possible.

2 thoughts on “4 Human Foods To Never Feed To Your Pooch”

  1. I have a job to keep him from the cat food .but he don’t get to it everyday but when he does it makes him poo mire and sunnier.burt he seems to want to get at it more than his own

Leave a comment