- 1 What is a dog harness?
- 2 Benefits of a harness over a collar
- 3 Best rated harnesses for dogs
- 4 Best car dog harnesses
- 5 Looking for leads to go with your harness? Try the out:
Here you’ll find our great recommendations for best dog harnesses for your Jug and other dogs of all sizes, please be aware that some may be suitable for puppies and others for adolescent and adult. Check sizes before your purchase.
Harnesses are a great way to keep your Jug comfortable while out and about and won’t be hurt if they pull. Harnesses are ideal for the modern dog as it is much more friendly than taking them for a walk with a collar.
What is a dog harness?
A dog harness is different to the traditional collar as it wraps around their body to provide a more robust and comfortable way to attach a lead and walk your dog. Many people now choose harnesses to prevent dogs from pulling or to simply not choke them if they do. Dog harnesses are also good for dog training.
Best dog car harnesses are also a great way to keep your dog safe and in place when driving as you can get additional attachments which can work with the safety belt.
Benefits of a harness over a collar
Dog harnesses are designed to fit comfortably around your dog’s chest and behind the neck. They’re usually designed so that it spreads pressure and tension evenly so that they aren’t pulling and hurting themselves. Working dogs typically wear harnesses so that they can be controlled easier and protects their neck from being tugged harshly which can cause serious issues for the dog.
Basically, a harness benefits both the dog and the owner – the dog is held firmly and if they suddenly pull they won’t choke and secondly the dog is held much more securely and in comfort which make being on a walk a much more pleasurable experience. Have you ever seen a dog pulling and sounding like they’re being strangled on a walk? That could be avoided with a harness.
Best rated harnesses for dogs
Julius K9 Dog Harness
You may notice that this is the harness that our Jug, Jeff wears. Originally this was a recommendation from fellow jug Harlow before we bought one for ourselves. It is robust, easy to put on and take off and it looks great. The ‘handle’ on the back helps us pick him up and control him if we need it and the cleverly placed ring makes it easy to attach to our car’s safety belt. The one drawback is the reflective side panels aren’t quite reflective and it offers nothing in the dark.
It can take a beating and has lasted Jeff well over a year, it might seem expensive but in our eyes we won’t be needing to replace this for a long time.
Julius K9 harnesses come in a wide variety of colours and sizes so it isa great harness for small dogs and large ones.
dogOne winter coat and harness
The dogOne winter coat and harness is a fantastic option as it doubles as a winter coat and a harness which can save money from buying both of them individually. It has built in reflection panels to help when walking your dog in the dark and considering it’s a half winter coat chances are it will be dark. It only comes in black but there are six sizes available so there is perfect size for your dog.
Purple Lovely Heart my Dog Harness
The purple lovely heart my dog harness is a stylish padded dog harness. It has a fleece inlining to keep your furry friend warm. It’s mainly catered towards small and medium dogs as it lacks the strength for larger breeds. If you want a harness that’s a bit nicer looking than usual then this is a superb choice at a great price.
- Medium Size: Neck 11" Girth 16"-18" ( Color: Purple)
- Lined with warm soft fleece
- Light-weight Soft Breathable 100% Polyester Material
OneTigris Tactical Dog Vest
The OneTigris tactical dog best gets a mention because it’s so tough, robust and has excellent features to keep your dog under control. It may not be flashy like the others but if you want one that gets the job done brilliantly then this is the one for you. It has almost the same features as the Julius-K9 but has waterproofing thrown in and a metal clip for extra safety.
Comes in one colour and only two sizes – large and small so be sure to check your dog’s size before purchasing.
- Ideal for Your Dog's Comfort: Two layers of water-resistant 1000D nylon fabric with soft padded lining
- Get More Control of Your Dog: With a super durable and slightly padded handle in the center top
- Designed for Easy On-and-Off: The front chest strap has two slides for two-way adjustment to fit your dog better
COA Cheap Dog Harness
If you want to try a harness but don’t want to break the bank doing so then the COA cheap dog harness might be worth a shot. It may not be the best dog harness to stop pulling or the most comfortable dog harness but it will do the trick. It’s padded, easy to put on and take off but may not be appropriate for long term use. Comes in three sizes and one colour – black. This is an ideal harness for small dogs.
- The Non-Pull Harness is an instant solution for dogs that pull when walked
- It uses the 'squeeze and lift' theory that tightens on the dog when they pull on the lead. This will ultimately deter the dog from pulling and will return them to normal controlled walking. A sliding security cord lock prevents over-tightening
- The patented chest mesh design allows unrestricted movement and the padded "Sherpa sleeves" provide additional comfort to eliminate rubbing while still keeping you in control
Possibly the best dog harness for large dogs, the Lifepul harness is a favourite at JugDog. It’s straps on the front are larger and more padded than the others while it still retains its strength and durability on the top part. It’s got a meaty handle and ring for your lead at the top and it pretty much ticks every box. Only comes in three sizes, medium, large and extra large so this isn’t even an option as a harness for small dog.
This is a safe and comfortable option for your dog and at its very generous price one we recommend to at least check out.
- ▶ EASY TO OPERATE - All the dog vest harness for integral whole and having a handle at dog's upper back helps you maintain control and keep the dogs from pulling you down the street
- ▶ FUNCTIONAL FEATURES -The dog vest harness leash connector D ring on the back is not only perfect to attach a seat belt to keep the dog safe during travel but also can make a regular leash tied in when you walk or riding easily.
- ▶ EXCELLENT QUALITY - All the dog vest harness mades of highest quality nylon outside,nickel-plated hardware,thick material with soft padding underneath ,soft,breathable,make your pets comfortable and reduce weathering.
Puppia Soft Harness
Perhaps one of the best harnesses for small dogs is the Puppia soft harness; It’s been approved by veterinarians which is always a good sign! It’s extremely comfortable thanks to its padding and fairly strong (we wouldn’t recommend these for larger breeds, see above for them!). The harness puts no strain on the neck and allows any pressure or strain to spread evenly across the chest. We’ve used one of these on our Jug and due to it’s adjustable strap it fits perfectly, so even if you have a ‘chesty’ breed such as a Pug or Jug then this should be fine.
Comes in a myriad of colours so there’s definitely a fit for your taste out there!
Embark Active Dog Harness
We love this one at Jug Dog. The Active Dog Harness by Embark is a great harness for highly active dogs who need to be secure at all times without the risk of the harness slipping off them while pulling (it can happen). It’s easy to get on in the first place by just slipping over your dog’s head and then adjusting the head and neck. Stylewise it’s also a nice looking harness which is a big plus and your dog will be turning heads on a walk. Lastly, the price point for this harness is excellent considering the high quality harness you’ll get. One to consider for sure.
- EASY TO PUT ON AND TAKE OFF - Our medium dog harness needs to only be adjusted once and you're ready for adventure. Simply adjust the neck and chest size then slip over your dog's head. Removing the harness is just as easy. We constructed an easy control handle on the back, which allows you to assist your dog or help control them. Now you're ready for a walk, run or training session. Will fit young and senior dogs and most average size breeds: Beagle, English Springer Spaniel, Beagle & more
- ADJUSTABLE SIZE FOR COMFORTABLE FIT - You can take control and customize the fit for each harness to provide your dog a comfortably snug fit. Please see the sizing guide to know which size fits your pooch best. The soft padded interior of the harness provides a level of comfort that cheaper harnesses don't have. We've spared no expense when constructing your dog walking harness with durable, high quality modern materials to be lightweight so your dog can move around freely
- QUADRUPLE REINFORCED ATTACHMENT POINTS - Feel secure, knowing your freedom no pull dog harness is quadruple sewn with military grade nylon thread, all the way through the harness at back attachment point. Well suited for service, rescue, therapy and dogs needing assistance. Also compatible with seat belt attachments. Ours is the best dog harness no pull on the market and allows for breeds similar to: The American Cocker, Weimaraner, Border Collie, Basset Hound, Airedale & more
Best car dog harnesses
Most harnesses can be used in the car with an attachment which can clip on to the ring and attached to the safety belt, however there are specifically made car dog harnesses you can buy.
Sleepypod Clickit Utility Dog Car Harness
The Sleepypod Clickit Utility dog harness is a specifically made harness for car travel and one of the best rated harnesses out there. The ‘wide webbed’ design makes it secure and stops your dog from being thrown around in the car during a journey. What sets the sleepypod apart from the rest is the rigorous safety tests and safety passes it has received. Your dog will be just as safe as a human passenger with this outstanding car harness. We simply couldn’t recommend this any more and should be classed as an investment rather than a purchase.
- Three-point design for use in rear passenger seat secures a dog's upper and lower torsos
- Three-point design is adjustable to two-point anchor usage for use in vehicle cargo area
- Strength tested, automotive grade materials and hardware.
Looking for leads to go with your harness? Try the out:
Last update on 2017-11-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API